Restoration of the Historic Mesier Homestead
Overview of Giving Tuesday
The small building to the rear (north) side of the Mesier Homestead was built circa 1741-43. As such, it provided Nicholas Brower with shelter as he established himself in this area. This was a common custom of early settlers in undeveloped areas. Nicholas constructed what is now the much larger main portion of the house as his time and finances allowed. From tax records, we believe the main structure was built sometime between 1748 and 1753.
The original 1740s portion of the house today is showing its age. There is extensive rot in window frames, doorways, clapboards, wall studs, and more. Our work will start with rebuilding deteriorated sections of the stone foundation. We will then work our way "up", replacing the rotted wall plates and wall studs. We will also replace the original "nodding" with modern insulation and refurbish the clapboard siding.
The Homestead had been used as Village offices and the Police Department over the years. When electric capacity was added, unsightly telephone poles were installed, and multiple electric conduits were added to the exterior. We are refitting the electrical feed to be underground and moving the electric meter and outdoor emergency shutoffs to a more practical location which will be much more pleasing to the eye. The telephone poles will also be removed. This work will eliminate the existing safety hazards and provide adequate drainage when we regrade the land around the foundation.
The initial work as described above was started in the fall of 2020. We will begin our foundation work as soon as weather allows in the Spring of 2021. Be sure to check back to this page as we update you on our progress with this exciting restoration project, bringing back the original portion of the house to its full glory.
Wappingers Historical Society is restoring........
Please make a donation to help us with this exciting project!